About Us & History
The Sputnik International Education Centre (SIEC) opened in 2001, in response to the growing importance of education in the Japanese Language and the ever-increasing career opportunities this provides. Located only 5 km from the heart of Kurunegala city, SIEC is situated in a quiet, secure and gardened environment, and has quickly become one of the top institutions now providing Japanese Education in Sri Lanka.
Infrastructure and Achievements
- Opening of Sputnik International Education Centre (SIEC) – by Professor GTF De Silva (Former Vice Chancellor of University of Moratuwa) – on January 7, 2001
- Opening of Sputnik Library – by Mrs. Leela Amarasinghe (Former Teacher of Maliyadeva College) – on May 4, 2001.
- Opening of Sputnik Language Faculty – by Professor Luxman Jayatilake (Former Director-General of National Institute of Education) – on June 24, 2001.
- Registration of Sputnik International Sri Lanka Organization as a Social Welfare Organization – on
- Opening of Sputnik Girls Children’s Home – on November 16, 2016.
- Opening of Michiko Building (Japanese Language Centre) – March 15, 2018.
- Opening of Sputnik Amphitheater- on March 15, 2018.
- Opening of Sputnik Rotary Friendship Children’s Park – on
- Recognition as a Non Partner Organization for AFS Japan Inc. – From 2006.
- Recognition as Japan MEXT Scholarship Sri Lanka Representative – From 2007.
- Commencement of sending Sri Lanka students for higher education in Japanese universities.
- Most Outstanding Award for the running of the Best Children’s Home – 2010.
- Recognition as an affiliated member of the Tertiary and Vocational Education Commission – from October 20, 2010.
- Commencement of Internship and Exchange programs with Japan Universities – From 2916.
- KAKE Japanese Language International Speech Competition:
- 2017 – Champion
- 2018/2019/2020 – 1st Runner-up
- Recognition as ASIA Kakehashi Scholarship Sri Lanka representative – From 2018.
- Recognition as Sri Lanka Partner for TBS sponsored DigiCon6 Short Film Contest- From 2018.
- Green Energy Champion Award – 3rd Place – In 2018.
- Recognition as Sri Lanka organizer for ECF sponsored White Canvas Painting Competition – From 2020.
- Commencement of Technical Intern Training Program for Caregivers – From January 2021.
The Education Centre provides courses in Japanese Language and Culture, both full time and part time.The vocational training courses for Japanese language tutors, Interpreters, guides and professionals for hotel trades establish a unique method of communication with a cadre of experienced Japanese and Sri Lankan teachers who give the students a clear insight into Japanese Language as well as an understanding of Japanese culture, customs, manners and habits. Further more, it provides document Translation facility from Japanese to Sinhala / English or vice versa. Sputnik is the first Japanese Language Educational Institution to be registered with the Tertiary and Vocational Education Commission of Sri Lanka, (Reg. No. P12 – 0137).
Sputnik is affiliated to KAKE Educational Institution in Japan, which is recognized as the largest educational institution in western Japan, and comprises three major universities and two technical colleges. Sputnik also offers free student visa counselling for travel to Japan. It trains students for internationally recognized Japanese examinations such as the Japanese Language Proficiency Test(JLPT) and Nihongo Ability Test (NAT). Students who pass JLPT Level 4(N4) or NAT Level 4 can apply for university studies at KAKE University network for their desired field of study. The usual admission fee is waived for those applying from Sputnik, and on entry to the university, financial scholarship is granted on a monthly basis to cover part of the first year’s living expenses. Deserving candidates can expect partial or full fee concessions. Students who complete the course of study with highest marks are given special merit certificates and cash prizes.
Separate accommodation facilities are available at Sputnik for both male and female students who follow full time courses.
Additional information can be obtained via the Information desk at 037-4943161,037-2238600 or 0715-240-240. Fax No. is 037-2228900.
The emblem of Sputnik International is a globe that has two supporters (Education and Culture) to link Sri Lanka and other countries and implies that Sputnik renders its fullest strength for the achievement of international co-operation through Educational and Cultural Exchange. The green tree that stands in the middle of the globe spreads its branches to every corner of the earth. This signifies the environment friendly characteristic of Sputnik International.
The vision of Sputnik International Education Centre is:
“To be the Institute of academic excellence in Sri Lanka for Languages, Sports and Child Education, disciplined with national relevance and international recognition”
Within this vision, our focus is to produce, from childhood, citizens who can reach their maximum potential with language proficiencies and sports skills enabling them to make a positive contribution to their home country.
We all have various desires and objectives. The students who join the Language faculty of Sputnik International Education Centre have their own desires and objectives in learning languages. It may be as an extra qualification, exam oriented, with a job in view; to gain opportunities of study abroad or for pleasure and as an avenue for the exploration of foreign countries. An integrated language faculty is one that helps individuals to realize and achieve their personal goals.
Japanese University Affiliation
SIEC is affiliated to KAKE Educational Institution in Japan which is considered
to be the largest educational network in Western Japan.
The school of Japanese Language as part of the Japanese Language campus
of KAKE educational Institution introduces students to:-
Okayama University of Science (OUS)
Kurashiki University of Science and the Arts (KUSA)
Chiba Institute of Science (CIS)
Sri Lankan youths, who are unable to enter universities in Sri Lanka enter Sputnik to realize their dream of a university degree. After having completed our Japanese Language Diploma Course, they become qualified to enter any university in Japan. This highlights a noteworthy service from our Education Centre. The diverse facilities and the staff, consisting of both Japanese nationalities and locals, have made an excellent environment for students to master the Japanese Language before entering Japanese Universities.
The variety of language courses available to satisfy diverse needs of every individual caters and enables each and every one to achieve their objective in full. For example, a student whose intention is to obtain a student visa for higher education in Japan has every facility to reach their goal within just one year. Furthermore, Sputnik provides Student Visa consultancy service to Japan from A to Z.